Course Program Introduction
Project Management Course in Building Construction Management is a specialist professional development program in building project management. The course program brings together new management concepts and proven technical skills to ensure that a building construction project meets all the criteria through all stages of the building life cycle from:
1. Initial Concept
2. Design Development & Documentation
7. Asset & Facilities Management
Participants for this program will be able to develop skill sets to effectively manage, supervise and administer the many activities of a small, medium or large commercial & domestic building development, ensuring all key activities & deliverables are successfully co-ordinated and managed throughout each stage of the project.
Areas of Competency
Program Participants are professionally trained to establish systems & processes in Building Construction Project Management including:
• overall project planning
• project coordination
• the appointment of consultants
• design management
• project delivery methods
• preparation of design and specifications
• resource planning
• project program scheduling
• project cost management
• contract management & administration
• management of construction work
• project close-out & commissioning
Program Code: PMBCM
Program Title: Project Management in Building Construction Management
Duration: 13 weeks
39 Sessions Approx.
On-Line eLearning included
3 months min. to 10 months max. approx. for those wishing to undertake training in a workplace
Mondays Tuesdays & Wednesdays
Option to Choose:
08:30am to 12:30pm
01:00pm to 05:00pm
05:30pm to 09:30pm
Level 1 Suite 9B
80 Keilor Road
Essendon North VIC 3041
Intakes are in
• Feb. 1, 2021
• May 3, 2021
• Aug. 5, 2021
Self-Study On-Line eLearning:
Open all year
Open all year
Note: Modes of Study are interchangeable e.g. Learners enrolled as Self-Study or Work-Based can change to Face-to-Face and vice versa if they choose to do so.
Project Management in Building Construction Management is well suited to those in the building construction industry and new to the industry who want to develop knowledge, skills and competencies to enable them to undertake job & project roles in managing, administering and supervising low, medium &high rise large, complex building construction projects.
The program helps course participants establish sound building project management & construction skills that will meet the project criteria for time, cost and quality control.
This course is suitable for those who wish to co-ordinate the building project management of construction of buildings where they are responsible for the overall completion of small, medium & large building developments, including construction management services and handling complex projects and processes.
The course program is aimed at meeting both private & public organisations requirement to produce a functionally and financially viable building project.
The functions performed by a building project manager typically include the design, or procurement of the design; the construction or procurement of the construction; and, in particular instances, other activities including site selection, site acquisition, permit approvals, advertising of the project, project administration and/or other activities which might otherwise need to be performed by the organisation.
This qualification combines best practice theory with practical workplace applications. Participants will gain an understanding of the specialist skills and knowledge required to become a building project manager or construction project manager or building construction project manager.
The objectives of Project Management Course in Building Construction Management are to
• undertake the necessary activities to support successful project delivery
• implement various operations through proper coordination and control of planning, design, estimating, contracting and construction of the entire building development process.
• relevant Commonwealth, state and local authority codes, regulations and relevant Australian standards as applicable to conditions of contract, tendering, project and risk management.
• Commonwealth and State legal and statutory laws relevant to the building construction industry, build environment and commercial & property sectors.
• licences, consent, permits, approvals and requirements of organisations having jurisdiction over the construction work.
Building & Construction
Building Design & Architecture
Real Estate & Property
Trades & Services
Building Project Manager
Construction Project Manager
Construction Project Co-ordinator
Assistant Project Manager
Junior Project Manager
However; Students will be interviewed prior to commencement of course program. This interview will be used to determine suitability for undertaking the course including assessment of the experience which the student has in the Building and Construction Industry.
A Skills assessment for Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN)
Students are required to be competent in written and spoken English and will undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy test prior to enrolment being accepted by CAS-BCM. Students will be required to achieve a satisfactory result in a language, literacy and numeracy (LLN) assessment that will be conducted during the application process.
• Be over the age of 18
• Have Intermediate Language Proficiency in English
• Have Intermediate Proficiency in English
• Have Intermediate Numeracy Skills
• Have access to a computer hardware with internet access
• Be able to operate computer programs as email, word processor and spread sheet applications at a basic level
A “construction induction” CPCCOHS1001 Work safely in the construction industry or equivalent “white card” is a mandatory requirement for construction workers in Australia. This means that if you want to work in the construction industry, you have to have one.
Students are required to obtain this before entering any construction worksite. For more information see: https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/
The program will be delivered as a blended learning program with the option to undertake the program as a Morning, Afternoon or Evening Program.
How it will be delivered (mode; face to face, online, on-the-job)
Learner Management System (LMS) including email, resources, research, eLearning, webinars and online consultation
Areas of Competency
Unit of Studies forming part of Project Management in Building Construction Management Program will cover key competency areas as:
1. Project Planning & Integration
2. Project Scope Planning & Organisation
3. Project Risk Management
4. Project Quality Management
5. Construction Law & Legislation
6. Building Construction Codes & Standards
7. Construction Technology
8. Project Cost Planning & Estimation
9. Contracts Management & Administration
10. Tender Development & Management
11. Occupational Health & Safety
12. Construction Management
13. Environmental Management in Building Construction
14. Property Development Management
AS ISO 21500:2016 Guidance on Project Management
AS 4915-2002 Project Management General Conditions
AS 4916-2002 Construction Management General Conditions
The assessment is conducted using a combination of realistic workplace tasks, projects, knowledge tests, response to case studies and feedback from supervisors.
The assessment methods used during this course are: